Pages

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Ramblings upon returning to Sweden

It is the middle of the night here. I keep trying to shut out the light and fall asleep with little success. Tomorrow is a work day (probably will be a rough one) but my body refuses to acknowledge that we've just skipped time zones.

I've been gone for three weeks and things are different here. Lilacs are in bloom everywhere and the air smells so lovely. The trees are all filled out with leaves. It looks so wild here.

And like the people said, it is not fully dark, despite it being the middle of the night. I don't even know what time the sun set, and I'm not going to look it up right now, because sometimes it is okay to leave a question unanswered. I do know that at 10 pm it was a very bright twilight kind of time, which allowed me to see a cute little hedgehog wander through the front yard. I really love wild hedgehogs. Welcome to Sweden - Where the air smells like lilacs and wild hedgehogs are a reality.

A lot of people seemed concerned that there are so many hours of daylight and I don't have curtains on most of my windows. I pretty much had myself convinced that I'd need to get some blackout curtains for the bedroom at least. But the thing is, I am not a person who only sleeps when it is dark. I kind of feel like most people are not that person. I feel like a person who is awake for sunrise is a rare thing. So I'm not concerned about that anymore. Birdsong starting at 2 am seems like a more valid concern.

Time to try to fall asleep again.

No comments:

Post a Comment