Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Bärar fru, anyone?

Swedish class is good for so much more than just learning language. Yesterday Greg learned about the Finnish wife-carrying competition. Let me just say that I feel that this is one of the few athletic competitions that I would be good at (probably because it is the only one where having an athletic husband is all it takes).

Apparently there is a 250 meter track, and the record time is just over a minute. The track also includes a few obstacles, like a water pit and some hurdle-type barricades. And the man just carries his wife on his back and goes as fast as he can. In the photos the wives are usually wearing helmets, which is a little disconcerting, but probably not a bad precautionary measure. That might also be the result of the whole, upside-down, over-the-shoulder carrying technique, which I'm still not totally convinced would work out for me and Greg. I think I might be too long for that. My head would get whacked on all the barricades.

So anyhow. This morning I tried to convince Greg he needed some practice by giving me a piggy-back ride for part of the way to work. Unfortunately, he didn't take the bait, so I had to walk. Maybe tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment